What questions should I ask CDL schools?
CDL training schools vary a great deal depending on which one you choose. The more questions you ask up front, the better a decision you will make. The most important areas to ask questions in is the financing and the structure pf the training.
Here are some basics the trucking school should be able to tell you:
- What is the total cost? On the average, CDL training will cost between $2500.00 and $5000.00, but will vary depending on the specific trucking school.
- What is the student to truck ratio? The lower the number, the better.
- What is the student to instructor ratio? Again, the lower the number, the better.
- Will there be any "observation" time? This is when you watch others drive. It is more productive to spend your time driving, so observation time should be minimal.
- Is there an offer for trucking job placement assistance after completing the course?
- If I don’t like the trucking company I am placed with is there further assistance?
- Is there additional assistance if I fail the CDL test?
- Is the school licensed, accredited, or PTDI certified? These are not required, but will demonstrate the quality of the school.
The first step to a great truck driving job is choosing a good truck driving school that matches your personal needs. Visit if you are ready to apply to Trucking Schools in your area.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Our forum is a great place to get answers to the questions you have. Visit our Trucking Forum today to post your question to other drivers.