Home Trucking FAQs What are the CDL Requirements for trucking jobs?

What are the CDL Requirements for trucking jobs?

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) establishes CDL requirements for all commercial truck drivers.

All truck drivers must obtain and maintain a valid a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate a large truck.   Additionally, endorsements are required to haul specific freight and/or drive specific types of trucks.

Basic truck driving endorsements for a CDL include: Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HAZMAT),  School Bus/Passenger Endorsement, Doubles/Triples Endorsement, Tanker Endorsement, and Air Brake Endorsement.  Endorsements you need will vary with your job.  In general, they are inexpensive and easy to obtain, so it is a good idea to obtain a variety of DDL endorsements when you are going through the licensing process.

Specific details for meeting CDL requirments vary from state to state.  Consult our CDL Requirements page to learn of specific rules in your home state.  Certain trucking companies may also have specific requirements for the endorsements you will need to carry.